As the year comes to a close and all of us New Yorkers get ready to watch the ball drop in Times Square it’s time to look back on some of the biggest movies of the year. Some of these movies smashed box office records and others just made everyone talk about them. Here is a list of some of 2012 most talked about/watched movies and why they were so popular:
- The Avengers– once in a while a movie comes along that everyone watches and all agree that it is amazing; this is one of those movies. No one said this movie was bad because it wasn’t. This movie brought together Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, and Thor and took individual characters that people liked and made them into a group of superheroes that people loved. What made the movie work so well was how well the characters interacted with each other and the style in which Joss Whedon delivered their stories.
- The Dark Knight Rises– this is a very good movie, a little long, depressing at points but I liked it because it shows an element to being a superhero that many other superhero movies don’t show. They don’t really show that sometimes the hero gets the crap beat out of them and that that’s what makes them so super. It is the fact that they never give up even when their back is broken and they are trapped in a underground prison. It’s very inspirational and shows that it is definitely darkest before you succeed but the only way to win is to keep trying.
- 21 Jump Street– is one of the funniest movies ever. I know I laughed harder at this movie then either of the Hangover movies. This was something that had me laughing from the beginning to the end. Also having seen the original show, I didn’t know what to expect and found myself not drawing comparisons at all because Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum made this movie their own. A sequel is in the works which means more that this could possibly turn into a franchise.
- Magic Mike– alright, I didn’t like this movie because I think the plot was crappy at best but I put this on the list because there hasn’t been a movie like this. I mean the fact that all of these very famous guys, many at the height of their career decided to do a stripper movie is awesome and what’s even better is the sequel that is in the works.
- The Bourne Legacy– this was a risky move to make because most people enjoyed the Matt Damon Bourne movies but they took a chance in rebooting the series and bringing in Jeremy Renner, who is also in “The Avengers”, and making him the new Bourne. It proved that even without Matt Damon the story was still good enough to draw people in and make them want to watch. This could possibly be the new Bond type series where they bring in new actors but keep the same format to the series.
- Skyfall– speaking of Bond, James Bond, this movie turned out to be one of the biggest movies of the franchise. This was another movie that most people enjoyed and told all their friends to go see. It shows that even a series that has been around for 50 years can still get people to go to the theatre because it is a good story with great actors.
- John Carter– now this movie didn’t do well in the theatres but I think it is because people didn’t know who John Carter was, why he was getting a movie or what the movie was about. It was a good movie. I watched it twice and liked it both times, I just think that people didn’t really understand the movie or know how good of an actor Taylor Kitsch is. So if you haven’t seen it, go watch it.
Here are some movies that I have heard good things about but have not seen yet:
- The Hobbit
- Django Unchained
- Cloud Atlas
- The Hunger Games
- Life of Pi
- Beast of the Southern Wild
Alright that’s the list but I know I missed a few, so comment below and say what other movies you thought were great this year or if you agree with my choices.