Swedish meatloaf, served with egg noodles and creamy gravy, is a satisfyingly delicious family dinner any night of the week.
Swedish meatloaf is made with a combination of ground beef and ground pork, mushrooms, rye bread crumbs and a pinch of allspice.
In this Swedish meatloaf recipe you may substitute 2 to 3 teaspoons of dried parsley flakes for the fresh parsley in this recipe, if desired.
If preferred, mashed potatoes may be substituted for the noodles when serving Swedish meatloaf.
Swedish meatloaf with noodles and creamy gravy recipe
Swedish meatloaf ingredients:
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, pieces and stems, drained and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh rye bread crumbs, approximately 2 to 3 slices
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice or nutmeg
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
Ingredients for noodles and creamy gravy:
- 1 package (12 ounces) uncooked egg noodles
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) mushroom or beef gravy
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) button mushrooms, cut in half
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- ½ cup sour cream
How to make Swedish meatloaf:
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl, add coarsely chopped mushrooms, finely chopped onions, chopped fresh parsley, rye bread crumbs, milk, egg, salt, pepper and allspice. For meatloaf, finely chop mushrooms and onions. Using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, mix well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Crumble ground beef and pork into bowl; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape meat mixture into loaf in loaf pan.
- Bake 75 to 80 minutes until meat is no longer pink in center of loaf and internal temperature reaches 160*F. Remove meatloaf to serving plate; let stand 10 minutes.
How to make noodles and creamy gravy for Swedish meatloaf:
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside in large bowl.
For creamy gravy:
- Add jarred gravy and milk to medium sauce pan. Heat gravy with milk over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Whisk sour cream into the gravy.
- Add button mushroom halves and mushroom liquid; remove from heat.
- Serve Swedish meatloaf with noodles on the side and gravy on both the noodles and the Swedish meatloaf.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings