Homemade almond roca makes a wonderful Christmas or holiday gift. Giving the gift of almond roca made in your own kitchen is a holiday gift from the heart. Place several pieces of the completely cooled almond roca in a holiday gift tin or box, using wax paper in between the layers, and you can give a delicious holiday gift to friends, families and coworkers.
When making homemade almond roca, you will not need any special equipment, not even a candy thermometer. You will need to stir the almond roca constantly, and watch the color carefully. Almond roca is at the right stage when it is a medium-deep mahogany color.
Do not double this almond roca recipe and make one big batch. If more than one batch of almond roca is needed, make each batch of almond roca separately.
If you have never tasted almond roca, you will enjoy it if you’re a fan of English toffee, similar to a Heath or Skor candy bar.
Homemade almond roca recipe
Ingredients for almond roca:
- 2 cups (1 pound) unsalted, good quality butter
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 cup whole roasted almonds, coarsely chopped or halved
- 1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts or almonds, chopped fine for walnuts, thinly sliced for almonds
Other equipment you will need to make homemade almond roca:
- Heavy, flat-bottomed jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with sides, approximately 13x9x2-inches or larger.
- Heavy-bottomed pan sauce pan or Dutch oven, at least 2-quarts
- Silicone spatula
- nonstick cooking spray
How to make homemade almond roca:
- Spray jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large heavy-bottomed pan, melt butter over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar, continuing to stir constantly until it foams up.
- Continue cooking over high heat and stirring constantly, adding coarsely chopped almonds.
- Continue to cook, stirring continually until mixture is color of mahogany and sugar is all melted. Take it off the heat for a moment if it starts to smoke.
- Quickly and carefully pour hot mixture onto prepared jelly roll pan. Tilt to spread evenly.
- After 5 minutes, pour on chocolate chips. When they have melted a bit, spread them over the top of the hot mixture with a silicone spatula.
- Scatter ground nuts over the top, shaking to distribute evenly.
- Cool the almond roca at least 4 hours, and up to 8 hours, at room temperature until hardened completely. The almond roca is thoroughly cooled when the chocolate is slightly dull looking.
- Break into pieces and the almond roca is ready to eat.
- Yield: about 1½ to 2 pounds almond roca