Caveat emptor: my first time in Bermuda was off a cruise ship. It was hot day, Boxing Day actually (which is December 26 and named for the day after Christmas when everyone is packing up the presents). Anyway, we stopped at a bar and order rum punches. Thinking this would be watered-down swill, and being quite thirsty, it went down easily. To say it packed a ‘punch’ is putting it mildly. So just a word of caution, barkeeps on this island do potent pours.
That said, if you’re jet-setting off to this pink sand paradise for the holidays, here are some, short and sweet hotel packages to consider during December and January when the mid-Atlantic paradise, which is just a two hour flight away from most U.S. east coast cities, offers idyllic temperatures for a holiday getaway that any member of the family can enjoy. Several discounts and destination-wide deals can be found below.
Christmas is Free Package at The Reefs
Situated on limestone cliffs overlooking a private, pink sand beach, The Reefs offers ocean views from every room and fantastic cuisine. Visitors booking a stay of five nights or more over December 25, 2012 will receive Christmas night free this holiday season. This special package starts at $325 per night, based on double occupancy, and is valid from December 15 through December 27, 2012. Package also includes:
- Daily full-service breakfast
- Afternoon tea
- Nightly gourmet dinner for two
- Christmas carols and tree trimming party on Christmas Eve
For more information or reservations, call 800-742-2008.
Family fun at the Fairmont Southampton
The Fairmont Southampton, Bermuda’s largest resort located above Horseshoe Beach with a picturesque view of Hamilton, makes it easy for families to stay together this holiday season. The resort is offering a special family package, including a second adjoining room for half off! Package highlights include:
- Luxury room accommodation for two adults with private balcony
- Second guaranteed-connecting room for children for 50% off.
- Age-appropriate welcome gift for children
- Complimentary access to Explorer’s Kids Camp (children under 5 must be accompanied by an adult)
- Kids 12 and under eat free from the children’s menu
- Children 18 or under receive 50% off the adult menu (adults may purchase a separate meal plan for an additional fee
For more information or reservations call 441-238-8000 or visit www.fairmont.com/southampton.
Holiday Package at the Rosedon
The Rosedon, a boutique Bermudian hotel, centrally located within walking distance of downtown Hamilton, is offering a special package to those looking for an activity-filled holiday. This six night package starts at $887 per person, based on double occupancy and includes:
- Accommodations for six nights in a standard room
- Champagne on arrival
- Two-hour Sea Garden Cruise
- Admission to the Aquarium
- Admission to the Crystal Caves
- Admission to the Maritime Museum
- Boxed lunch for two
- A $30 dinner voucher
- Two-seater bike rental
- Daily breakfast and afternoon tea and access to a south shore beach for swimming
- Valid for stays between Dec. 1, 2012 and March 31st, 2013
For more information or reservations, call 441-295-1640 or visit http://www.rosedon.com/
Just under two hours from East Coast gateway cities, Bermuda stretches for 21 miles along turquoise waters and is surrounded by a 200-square-mile coral reef plateau. The destination’s accommodations range from luxury resorts to intimate guest cottages and family-run inns, all incorporating the sophistication and hospitality unique to the Bermuda experience. The island includes more than 150 restaurants to fit any traveler’s budget, from simple and inexpensive to elegant and special dining. Bermuda’s diverse activities offer an array of vacation options all year round, including more wreck dives and more golf per square mile than anywhere else in the world, renowned deep sea fishing, luxurious spas and smooth pink beaches.