Thanks to Mother Nature delivering a great start to the season with generous amounts of snow in November and December, all of Lake Tahoe’s 14 downhill ski resorts are now open for the Christmas holidays.
Tahoe Donner is the last of Lake Tahoe’s 14 ski resorts to open. The modest family ski resort opened Friday and one day earlier Diamond Peak in Incline Village had its season-opener.
The biggest storm of the young season should subside by Monday morning, leaving behind as much as 6 feet of snow at Lake Tahoe ski resorts for skiing and snowboarding.
There is a 20 percent chance of snow on Monday and a zero percent chance of snow on Christmas day, according to The Weather Channel.
“The Christmas holiday period is an important time for any ski resort,” stated Jon Slaughter, Boreal Marketing Director. “We already have a great snow base for this time of year, and this storm is going to put us over the top. Skiers and snowboarders coming up for the holidays are in for a treat.”
Below is the National Weather Service forecast for today through Christmas for the Lake Tahoe region.
• Today: Snow. Snow accumulation of 4-12 inches with 6-16 inches above 7000 feet. High temperatures 29-34. South winds 20-30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. Ridge gusts up to 85 mph increasing to 115 mph in the afternoon.
• Tonight: Snow in the evening, then snow showers after midnight. Snow accumulation of 2-6 inches with 3-9 inches above 7000 feet. Low temperatures 15-20. Southwest winds 20-30 mph decreasing to 15-20 mph after midnight. Gusts up to 50 mph. Ridge gusts up to 105 mph decreasing to 75 mph after midnight.
• Monday: Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of snow showers in the morning. High temperatures 30-35. Southwest winds 10-15 mph. Ridge gusts up to 60 mph in the morning.
• Monday Night: Partly cloudy. Low temperatures 6-16. Light winds.
• Christmas Day: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow and rain in the afternoon. High temperatures 34-39. Light winds becoming southwest 10-15 mph in the afternoon.
Lake Tahoe ski resorts
• Boreal: Open
• Heavenly: Open
• Northstar: Open
• Kirkwood: Open
• Squaw Valley: Open
• Mt. Rose: Open
• Sierra-at-Tahoe: Open
• Sugar Bowl: Open
• Alpine: Open
• Homewood: Open
• Soda Springs: Open
• Donner Ski Ranch: Open
• Diamond Peak: Open
• Tahoe Donner: Open