TAMPA BAY – It’s that time of the year once again, time for the Tampa Bay Music Network to hold their annual TBMN Awards Show & Musicians Appreciation Party. Every year the Tampa Bay Music Network honors Bay Area Bands, musicians and other industry individuals at it’s annual awards ceremony by presenting awards to those who have supported the Tampa Bay Music Network throughout the year.
Due to the number of awards being presented this year by the Tampa Bay Music Network, the 5th Annual TBMN Awards Show & Musicians Appreciation Party will be held at three seperate venues in three separate counties. The dates and locations of this years shows are as follows:
Friday, January 4th – Silver Dollar Lounge, 2520 North 50th Street, Tampa:
The event will begin with a musicians appreciation party from 7:00pm – 8:00pm. The party will include a free food buffet and drink specials. The show will start at 8:00pm which will include live music performances from several Bay area bands, with awards given out all night long. The schedual is as follows:
- 7:00pm – Musicians Appreciation Party
- 8:00pm – Desert Moon (performance)
- 9:00pm – Drive (performance)
- 10:00pm – Earl Brown’s Eruption (performance)
- 11:00pm – Jaded (performance)
- 12:00am – Scilter (performance)
- 1:00am – Sobriety X / Gravity Down (performances)
The event will also feature a special guest appearance from Bradenton’s Katalyst.
Saturday, January 5th – Porpoise Pub, 8701 Seminole Blvd., Seminole:
The event will begin with a musicians appreciation party from 3:00pm – 7:00pm. The party will include a free food buffet and drink specials. The event will include live music performances from several Bay area bands, with awards given out all night long. The Brittany Nation Foundation Against Drunk Driving will also be at the event to present Andrew Hall (drunk driving victom) with a special award. The schedual is as follows:
- 3:00pm – Allen / Griffin (performance)
- 4:30pm – Dakota Band (performance)
- 6:00pm – Red Hawk (performance)
- 7:00pm – Chrome (performance)
- 8:30pm – Andrew Hall (appearance & speach)
- 9:00pm – Big Deal! (performance)
- 10:30pm – Den of Thieves (performance)
- 12:00am – Sons of Nuns (special guest performance)
- 1:00am – All Star Jam
The event will be broadcasted live on Social Network Radio.
Sunday, January 6th – Peggy’s Corral, 4511 US Highway 41 North, Palmetto:
The event is scheduled to start at 12:00pm. The schedule is as follows:
- 12:00pm – Opening act TBA
- 2:00pm – The Burghs (performance)
- 3:00pm – Tommy Devine of Wikkid Jester (performance)
- 3:30pm – Whiskey Blind (performance)
- 5:00pm – Katalyst (performance)
The event will also feature an “All Star Jam” that will includemembers of Whiskey Blind, Katalyst, and Wicked Jester, along with members of Shotgun Justice & Big Daddy.
History of the TBMN Awards Show & Musicians Appreciation Party:
The idea for the TBMN Musicians Award Ceremony was initially conceived of in the Fall of 2008 when area promoter, Victor Lima, founded the Tampa Bay Music Network. At the time Lima was promoting shows at the old Boomerz Night Club during September – December 2008. Lima not only wanted to show his appreciation to the Tampa Bay area bands for all their support of the Tampa Bay Music Network, but also wanted to Re-build the “A-CIRCUIT” music scene that Tampa Bay and Florida once had.
The “1st Annual TBMN Musician’s Award Ceremony” was held on January 3rd, 2009 at Azaras Sports Bar located in Clearwater at 2862 Gulf To Bay Blvd. Originally the event was to take place at Boomerz Night Club in Seminole, but Boomerz was temporary closed…and eventually never re-opened. The inaugural show was hosted by Tampa Bay cover band, Cellfish.
“I invited several bands to just come to my Musicians Appreciation Party, I wanted to thank them with some food and drinks.” “Well, before you know it I had almost 80-90 musicians in the house, packed, considering Azaras is rather small.” “I put a couple pizzas on one of their pool tables and had 5 awards I made up by a glass engraver I met on Tom Stewart Causeway who does glass doors.”
“After Cellfish played their second set, about Midnight, I asked some bands to get up and jam. As I introduced them, as I’m known for doing…BAM, I whipped out an award.” – Victor Lima, Tampa Bay Music Network.
The award winners for the “1st Annual TBMN Musician’s Award Ceremony” included:
- “Favorite Networking Band” – Cellfish.
- “Favorite Supporter” – Tommy Roxx of Big Deal.
- “Favorite New Partner” – Promoter, David Lee from StageMaster Entertainment.
- “Favorite Party Band” – Sobriety X.
- “Favorite Band Of The Year (2008)” – R!SE.
As Lima started to plan for the “2nd Annual TBMN Musicians Award Ceremony”, and scout for a venue to hold the event at, he had one small problem…..50% of the bands were booked already. Lima came up with the only solution he could think of….he would take the Award Show on the Road this time. Lima announced several locations that the “Beanie Man” would appear at in order to present the awards to his favorite bands and supporters.
Some of the award winners for the “2nd Annual TBMN Musician’s Award Ceremony” included:
- “Favorite Up and Coming Band” – Envy.
- “Favorite Party Band” – R!SE.
- “Favorite Hard Rock Band” – Sobriety X.
- “Favorite Graphics Designer and Bass Player” – Jason Jennings.
- “Favorite Benefit / Supporter” – Woody and The Woodtones.
- “Favorite Original Act” – Dive Bar Stalkers.
- “Favorite Band of The Year (2009)” – Big Deal.
- “Favorite Most Consistent Artist” (Career Achievement Award) – Kenny McGee of Julliet and Heartless.
The “3rd Annual TBMN Musicians Award Ceremony” was held at the Banana Boat Too, and hosted by Sobriety X. The event took place on Saturday, January 8th, 2011.
The award winners for the “3rd Annual TBMN Musician’s Award Ceremony” included:
- “Favorite Drummer” – David “Hammer God” Smith of Sobriety X.
- “Favorite Up And Coming Act” – Den of Thieves.
- “Favorite Rock Band” – My D’Vice.
- “Favorite Supporter” – Cliff Greene of My D’Vice.
- “Favorite Party Band” – Kilo.
- “Favorite Male Guitarist” – Brian “Bangus” Dwyer of Sin City.
- “Favorite Female Guitarist” – Rebecca Field of Midnight Rush.
- “Favorite Tribute Band” – Higher Ground (Red Hot Chill Peppers Tribute Band).
- “Favorite Bass Player” – Michael Bach of Higher Ground.
- “Favorite Front Vocalist” – Amelia Warren of LoudMouth.
- “Favorite Sound Engineer” – John Tech.
- “Favorite Sound Engineer #2” – Rick White.
- “Favorite Website/Internet” – John Tech.
- “Favorite Photographer” – Das Budda.
- “Favorite Band Of The Year (2010)” – Sobriety X.
The “4th Annual TBMN Musicians Award Ceremony” was also held at the Banana Boat Too, and once again hosted by Sobriety X. The event took place on Saturday, January 7th, 2012. All total, 20 awards were handed out at the event.
The award winners for the “4th Annual TBMN Musician’s Award Ceremony” included:
- “Favorite Band of the Year” – Kilo
- “Favorite Party Band” – Sobriety X
- “Favorite Supporting Band” – Midnight Rush
- “Favorite Supporting Band” – Ultra-Cool
- “Favorite Up & Coming Act” – Gringo
- “Favorite Alternative Band” – Capt. Buzz Kill
- “Favorite Rock Band” – Wikkid
- “Favorite Heavy Rock Band” – Den of Thieves
- “Favorite Solo Act” – Ben Meyer (Nasty Savage)
- “Favorite Acoustic Solo Act” – Blu (Stone)
- “Favorite Acoustic Band” – Stone
- “Favorite Sponsor” – Seminole Music & Sound
- “Favorite Media Source” – Mayhem Magazine
- “Favorite Singer” – Rick Clark (Sobriety X)
- “Favorite Guitarist” – Rollie Feldman (Den of Thieves, Circle II Circle, Priest)
- “Favorite Bassist” – Greg Kime (Sobriety X, Dirty Sanchez)
- “Favorite Drummer” – Mike Dillon (Edge of Sanity)
- “Favorite Supporter” (individual) – John Barse (Midnight Rush)
- “Favorite Cause/Message” – Brittany Nation Foundation Against Drunk Driving – “Don’t Drink and Drive.”
- “Mayhem Magazine Drummer of the Year” – Jay Diesel (Wikkid, Crossbreed)
Award Winner Selection Proccess:
The winners are not selected by a voting process, by public opinion, or by any competition. Though the Tampa Bay Music Network is contemplating a public voting process for next years event, currently the Tampa Bay Music Network selects it’s annual winners by who they feel continuously supported the Tampa Bay Music Network throughout the previous year. Also, no band or individual can receive the same award 2 years in a row.
“It’s just my personal way of saying Thank You to some.” – Victor Lima, Tampa Bay Music Network.
© copyright 2012 KAM Music Publishing.
All articles published in the St. Petersburg Live Music Bar Scene Column fall under federal copyright laws. Articles cannot be re-published in whole without the written consent of Keith Wilkins, KAM Music Publishing, or rootshed.com. Partial re-printing with a link back to the original article is permitted without conscent.
The St. Petersburg Live Music Bar Scene Column was the “2010 & 2011 Most Read Examiner Column” in the St. Petersburg (Tampa Bay) market, and is syndicated on The Bay Buzz, World News America, and several other internet publications as well.
Don’t miss a single article, subscribe to the St. Petersburg Live Music Bar Scene Examiner Column now by clicking on the “Subscribe” button at the bottom of this article. You will receive an email notification each time a new article is published.