Chicago’s tough winter months are in full swing, which means strong winds, biting chill and low temperatures. But that doesn’t mean savvy Chicagoans will be spending the season hibernating indoors. On the contrary, the winter months are a time to enjoy the excellent shopping of Oak Street, take in the wonders of the Field Museum, and go on strolls with family and friends down North Michigan Avenue. But in order to brave the cold and be able to take in the sights and sounds of winter, it is essential to take extra steps to ensure our skin remains protected and healthy throughout the season. Follow these easy steps for beautiful, healthy looking winter skin.
- Turn on the humidifier: While moisture is essential for skin care products, it is also important for your exterior environment. Using a humidifier in the winter months will complement the products you use by adding additional moisture into the air to help keep your skin moisturized day and night. As an alternative, consider purchasing plants for your home. Keeping them watered means the plants will reciprocate the moisture into the air, creating a similar effect as a humidifier.
- Use a gentle facial cleanser: Be sure to opt for moisturizing cleansers that nourish while removing dirt and makeup for healthy looking skin. Try Simple Moisturizing Facial Wash for skin that needs a little extra TLC. Simple is a complete range of facial skincare products perfect even for sensitive skin and the line can be found in select drugstores and supermarkets here in Chicago and nationwide. Simple products are made without dyes, artificial perfumes or harsh irritants that can upset skin. The Moisturizing Facial Wash offers pro-vitamins, which are known to moisturize and smooth, and is 100% soap-free.
- Nourish your body, nourish your skin: Balanced nutrition is not only good for our bodies, but can also improve the look and feel of our skin. Skin irritations and other problems are sometimes associated with the amount of sugar in our diets, so keep the sweets to a healthy minimum. Also be sure to keep plenty of fruits and veggies on hand––the antioxidants and vitamins A, C and E found in foods like blueberries, strawberries and spinach can help diminish the presence of free radicals, which can harm skin.
- Forgo harsh toners and peels and opt for long-lasting moisturizer: During the winter, your skin is already more prone to dryness, peeling and irritation, especially if it’s sensitive. Skip over abrasive face masks and alcohol-based toners that can strip away essential oils that your skin needs to stay nourished and use a long-lasting moisturizer that replenishes skin with pro-vitamins and skin-loving ingredients. Try a product like Simple Replenishing Rich Moisturizer. It moisturizes for 12 hours, leaving skin replenished and nourished all day long.
- Replenish at night: We’ve all heard the term “get your beauty sleep,” but in fact, a lack of sleep can actually take its toll on our faces. When we sleep, our metabolic rate is increased, which allows our skin to rejuvenate itself by replenishing cells on the skin’s surface. This winter, take a page from Sleeping Beauty’s book and get to bed a little earlier – your skin will thank you in the morning!
With these skin-loving tips, getting through Chicago’s windy winter will be a breeze!
For more information, visit www.simpleskincare.com to take the Simple “Skin Health Consultation” and learn tips for caring for sensitive skin.