The holiday season is upon us and despite the joy and celebration; we can also experience stress and anxiety. Travel expenses, family commitments, the expectation of gifts to be bought and given, and of course business tends to slow down as everyone is saving for the holidays! All of this tends to make us feel afraid and overwhelmed.
When we are faced with a problem or a challenge, it’s tempting to dive into fear and overwhelm. We immediately feel the pressure to figure out a solution. As we focus on the problem, the fear and overwhelm intensify as we begin to protect ourselves from future negative outcomes – before they’ve even occurred!
How do we stop the fear spiral and step into the solution? A Course in Miracles states that we can only have one problem, though it can appear to take many forms, with some seeming more difficult to solve than others. According to A Course in Miracles, the only problem we can ever have is the belief that we are separate from our Source (however you perceive that).
When we believe we are separate, we go into fear because we see scarcity and threats to our security. The only solution we ever need for any problem is to remember that we are one with our Source and that we can never be without what we need. This requires faith in something greater than your own mind, and you can use your imagination and your own heart to locate what that is for you.
Universal Law states that there is only abundance and that lack is merely a perception. We deny our abundance when we believe we are unworthy or undeserving of it. So, it is the belief that we are unworthy that is driving the perception of lack – not our situations or circumstances.
However, if we are one with Creation, we have the same attributes, qualities and characteristics of this Infinite Intelligence and the same pure potential exists within our minds as it does within this abundant Source. Therefore, lack is merely a perception and abundance is the reality.
What A Course in Miracles suggests is that we ask not for our situations to be fixed, but for our minds to be healed and our perception of reality to be corrected. In order to receive a healed perception from Spirit or Universal Mind, we must make a space for this new thought by releasing our investment in the fear thoughts. We can’t use limiting beliefs to create abundance. That’s like trying to make 1+ 2= 5. It simply doesn’t compute! We have to trade our fear thoughts for peaceful thoughts so that we can calm down and be open to a new outcome.
Here is a helpful exercise to create a shift in your perception, so that you can be open to a positive outcome in the face of a problem:
- Identify the problem or concern and write it out in a clear, concise sentence that gets to the point. (Note: don’t be dramatic – just stick to the facts!) For example: “The holidays are coming up and I don’t have much money coming in. I feel scared and ashamed that I can’t afford to buy gifts and pay my bills.”
- Now, below that statement, write out how you would love for this situation to be instead. If you had a magic wand and the situation was already solved, what would that be like? (Note: it’s important to throw “reality” out the window here for a moment. Don’t worry if your solution seems unrealistic – just allow yourself to contemplate what it would be like to have your situation healed and restored to peace.) For example: “I receive all the money I need to buy gifts and pay my bills with ease. I attract opportunities to make more money and I can rest knowing that I am provided for and feel great giving gifts from the heart to people I love. People love to help me and I am able to find great deals and enjoy the holidays feeling grateful.”
- Now, below this statement, write down the following reminder in big, bold letters: “I am one with my Source and therefore, I can have no problems that are real.”
- Close your eyes and take 3 deep breaths. Imagine placing the problem and all the fear thoughts in a golden balloon and letting go of the balloon so that it floats up to the sky and disappears into the infinity of the cosmos.
- Repeat the following statement 3 times: “Thank you, in advance, that this is already solved and I am safe, loved and provided for in all respects.”
Now, go about your day, doing whatever is presented before you in terms of tasks or activities. Breathe and keep your mind focused on your solution. When the fear of the problem comes up, return your mind to your centering thought: “Thank you, in advance, that this is already solved and I am safe, loved and provided for in all respects.”