Most website owners and bloggers rely on traditional online methods, such as SEO, PPC, Social Media, and email marketing, to get website traffic. They often overlook some very creative and direct means to get traffic to their sites. Here are 5 ways to bring offline traffic to your website or blog.
- Bulletin Board Flyers: Print 8.5″ x 11″ flyers and include tear-off strips for your website. You can get 10 tear-off strips or more on one sheet of paper. At 10 cents per copy, you’re looking at a penny per strip. Put your ad copy in the main part of the flyer, and a short tagline and with your URL on the tear-off strips. Post them on bulletin boards that get lots of traffic. Whenever you post a flyer, tear off one or two strips. No one wants to be the first to tear a strip.
- Flyers on Cars With Paid Distribution: Placing flyers on cars is a strategy that’s not really new, but there’s a twist to this method. Instead of spending your time running around town putting flyers on cars, there are many people who advertise on Craigslist that will do this for a small fee. Just search for ‘flyer’ or ‘flyer distribution’ in the ‘services offered’ section. It’s better to use 1/4-sized handbills instead of full-sized 8.5″ x 11″ sheets. They are less intrusive and keep your costs down.
- Newspaper Classified Ad: These work great if you find the right category to place your ad. With the decline of the newspaper industry, rates are very low. Your classified ad does not have to be fancy. A basic 3 line ad is enough to get potential customers to visit your website. You can usually get better rates from the smaller papers. Don’t rely on just your city’s main newspaper. Remember to shop around.
- Sticky Notes with Rubber Stamp: For this you need two supplies.You need 3″ x 3″ sticky notes, like Post-Its, and a rubber stamp. Make sure you get brightly colored sticky notes for best visibility. For the rubber stamp use something like the Brother 2260, which is available at office supply stores. Most stores will print your ad on the stamp and it will be ready for pickup in a few hours. Place the sticky notes on objects that have human interaction like vending machines, ATMs, newspaper dispensers, gas station pumps, etc. Don’t place them on personal property like vehicles; that will annoy people because of the adhesive.
- Drop Card Marketing: Drop cards, which are designed to resemble $100 bills, are a very effective way to get your sales message in front of potential customers. These cards are so realistic looking, people have no choice but to pick them up. And when they unfold them, they’ll be greeted with your sales message. The great thing about these drop cards is that you don’t have to make a special effort to distribute them. Just drop them in high-traffic areas as you go about your day. They’re also viral. If someone drops it back on the ground when they find out it’s not real money, it’s right there waiting for someone else to pick up.
There you have it, 5 offline ways to market your website. These are all relatively inexpensive, so it’s a great idea to pick one or two and experiment until you find the message and medium that converts best for you.