With the recently released news that chocolate is good for you, chocolate lovers may just now be scrambling to find some of the best chocolate recipes in time for the December holidays. And with five new delicious chocolate desserts for Christmas from around the web plus two more bits of serious chocolate news to start off the week, it’s time to get out pad and pen to take some notes.
Stop by late next week to download my FREE Delicious Chocolate Desserts app for Android. It’s my way of thanking you for reading my column. Click through the slide show to take an early peek at it.
Serious Chocolate News:
Researchers studying the effects of chocolate on health–and more specifically on its ability to remedy the common cough–have discovered that a chemical present in cocoa has been shown to aid in relieving a persistent cough. Three hundred people took part in a clinical trial in which they were fed naturally a occurring chemical in the delicious brown substance called theobromine. Early results showed that 60% of patients got some relief from the remedy. Researchers suggest that taking a daily bar of dark chocolate may aid in quelling a persistent cough.
And while that little nibble of information may make you feel less guilty about consuming gobs of chocolate on a daily basis, another study from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University in Chicago suggests it may not give you as much pleasure if you don’t feel guilty after eating it. Two groups of 20 women were given the ultimate chocolate test. One group read magazines that emphasized health and well-being while the other read magazines with no such emphasis. The results, according to an article in the Telegraph:
When all 40 women were given a chocolate bar afterwards and asked to rate their enjoyment of it, those who had read the healthy living magazine said they liked the sweets 16% more than those who did not.
Kelly Goldsmith, head researcher for the study concluded that touting something as “guilt-free” could lessen people’s expectations of a product, making their perception of it less pleasurable. She suggested that businesses
Let people benefit from the intrigue and pleasure and enjoy their experience more.
Five Guilty Delicious Chocolate Desserts
And in keeping with the spirit of the research, here are my picks for the five best chocolate recipes from around the web this week. Most of them have a decidedly Christmas/ holiday theme and make yummy food gift ideas for a holiday food/ cookie exchange or as the basis for Christmas basket gift ideas:
- Add a Christmas chocolate bark recipe with a holiday twist to your chocolate-to-make list with this Peppermint Bark White Chocolate recipe.
- Bring some Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies to your Christmas cookie exchange this season and become the hit of the party.
- For those who fall into the chocolate and spirits category, there’s these tasty Brandy Doughnuts with Dark Chocolate Marzipan.
- Add one more mint and chocolate taste variety to the list with this Chocolate Candy Cane Cookie Recipe. Yummy!!
- And finally, every chocolate lover who’s ever had the blues knows that doughnuts and chocolate are a good mix. Cure your December holiday blues with this Chocolate Donut Holes recipe.
For some extra chocolate-themed gift ideas, watch the video that accompanies this article.
Follow me on Pinterest.
Sources: Fowler Tribune, Daily Mail
Click on the links below to check out some other Christmas holiday recipes:
- Homemade caramel sauce recipe for pies, bread puddings, and ice cream (Video)
- Butter pecan cookies with Christmas cherries plus edible cookie bouquets (Video)
- Cherry cheesecake topping for those holiday emergencies; easy cheesecake recipe
- Chocolate Christmas cookies: Chocolate coconut macaroons, cookie exchange ideas
- Popcorn Christmas trees add new meaning to decorating with popcorn!
- Old-fashioned bread pudding recipes: Traditional Christmas pudding recipe
- Ginger desserts: Christmas cheesecake plus Rachel Ray, Martha Stewart recipes
- To-die-for Christmas biscotti with candy cane crunch (Video)
- M&M cookies: Christmas desserts your kids can’t resist!
- Holiday popcorn gift basket ideas (Video)
- Pumpkin pie recipe alternatives: Flan for Thanksgiving
- Nutella chocolate cake recipe: Thanksgiving dessert ideas
- Salted caramel hot cocoa: A sweet and salty treat for the holidays (Video)
- Recipe for homemade cocoa and marshmallows (Video)
- Avocado key lime pie made with yogurt
- Minty ice cream lollipops with hard chocolate shell and peppermint sprinkles
- Chocolate peppermint ice cream cake, easy chocolate cake ideas
- Delicious chocolate desserts: Homemade chocolate pudding, Paula Deen lava cake
- Healthy breakfast cookies recipes: Oatmeal, pumpkin, ginger, fruit and nut bars
- Easter dessert and cookie ideas: Sugar cookies, Zimtsterne, pumpkin pies, candy