To say the year 2012 was a busy year for the band Santana is quite an understatement. Starting in the wee hours welcoming the New Year in Times Square to a new album, followed by concert tours, residency at the House of Blues in Las Vegas, television appearances, and the announcement of an autobiography were some of their activities. Here’s a breakdown from each month in 2012 on what Santana had in store for fans all over the world.
Appearing on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve welcoming in the New Year in Times Square with other musical guests that included Lady Gaga.
- Santana announces their two-year residency in Las Vegas, this time in a different venue. Previously they had performed at The Joint inside the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. Now they would be in an intimate setting at the House of Blues at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. Their first performance starts May 2.
- Their first album simply titled “Santana” is to be inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.
- The release of “Santana: Live at Montreux 2011” DVD will be released for fans that missed out on their stellar European tour.
- The band’s 36th album titled “Shape Shifter” will be released on May 15 featuring 13 songs, almost all instrumentals.
- Santana’s upcoming album “Shape Shifter” announces their North American tour dates beginning in July.
- “Dancing with the Stars” invites Santana to perform throughout their Latin Week performance show.
- Carlos receives a special citation from BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.) in Las Vegas.
- House of Blues presents their mud ceremony with dirt gathered from the Mississippi Delta, Carlos’ hometown of Autlan de Navarro in Jalisco, Mexico, and Woodstock in upstate New York.
- “An Intimate Evening with Santana” starts off its residency at the House of Blues inside Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino to rave reviews.
- “Shape Shifter is released to excellent reviews that include:
- If you’ve been yearning for some classic Carlos Santana, “Shape Shifter,” the guitarist’s first album on his new label, is just the ticket. The remaining instrumental tracks showcase Santana’s virtuoso guitar playing in a beautifully arranged and carefully paced album. – Seattle Times
- Carlos Santana regroups and finally refocuses on what he does best — unspooling majestic, volcanic solos over a seemingly endless array of flowing jazz-fusion jams and Latin-rock grooves. The real guitar heaven for fans. – Toronto Sun
- Other television appearances include the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, a spoof on the finale of “Saturday Night Live,” and a radio interview on Rockline.
July and August 2012
“Shape Shifter’s” North American tour takes off with a sidebar at the Curacao North Sea Jazz Festival.
- Macy’s stores throughout the U.S. honor Carlos by Carlos Santana, Santana’s shoe and accessory line for National Heritage Hispanic Month.
- Set for 2014 Carlos Santana’s long-awaited autobiography will be published and released by Little, Brown, and Company.
- Carlos is featured in a new Macy’s TV commercial along with other celebrities including Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, and Sean Combs.
- For the first time in the band’s history they performed some concerts in India for the Indian Grand Prix.
During the Kennedy Center Honors presentation of blues legend, Buddy Guy, a biographical film was presented featuring Carlos Santana along with Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and Stevie Ray Vaughan.