There are two weeks to go until the big day. There is still time to get all of your ducks in order to have a wonderful and stress free Thanksgiving Day. I will share with you ten tips to help ease your preparation for Thanksgiving.
1. Plan Your Menu Early – Pick out what you will have for dinner early. You still have time to order a fresh turkey or even pick up a frozen one. Better Homes & Garden even has a printable checklist to help easy your pain. Don’t stress out over what the menu should be, keep it simple, yet tasty.
2. Scan Ads in Sale Papers – Look through your sales papers. Many supermarkets have started their sales for canned goods, fresh produce, turkey’s, chickens, etc.
3. Delegate Tasks – Ask your guests to bring a dish to help take off some of the pressure from you. Have someone bring a vegetable, a starch, drinks, desserts, even appetizers. You don’t have to cook everything yourself.
4. Linens – Pick out what the linen you will use for the day. Don’t worry if you don’t have the fancy lace tablecloth. You can use paper ones, most discount stores have very cute table settings that come with matching napkins and cups.
5. Set The Table – This can be done a day or two beforehand. Get out all of your place settings and have the kids help you set the table. This teaches them etiquette and it gives you one less thing to do on turkey day.
6. Centerpiece – You don’t need one but you can definitely have one. Did your kids make something in school that you could use? Add a vase with flowers, marbles or a candle to the center of your table.
7. Defrost the Turkey – Start to defrost your turkey 2-4 days ahead of time, on Thanksgiving your bird will be defrosted and ready to be placed in the oven.
8. Prep Sides Early – Most of the time you can prepare your side dishes hours or even a day ahead of time. Getting them done early gives you more time with your family.
9. Games & Snacks for Kids – Do you want to keep the kids occupied while you work in the kitchen? Give them games to play; board games, cards games, coloring pages. Even set them up with some snacks so they have some food to munch on. This is a perfect time to have them create a gingerbread house, decorate sugar cookies or even make Thanksgiving placemats. Check out these craft ideas from BH&G.
10. Enjoy Family & Friends- Now that you have done all of your work. Take the time to enjoy your family and friends. You have worked hard for this day, planning and organizing every detail. Now it is time to enjoy those who are closest to you.
I hope you have enjoyed these tips and that they help your prepare for a day of thanks with your loved ones.